How to Store A Text Message on the Ethereum Blockchain – Censorship Resistant
This is a small tutorial is based on the following news article. How a Chinese Student Avoids Censorship With the Ethereum Blockchain It is fascinating how the Ethereum Blockchain helped her spread her message to the world without being censored by the Chinese government.
That is why I want to show you how you can do it.
There are many people in the world that face some sort of censorship and this is an easy way to share messages that can not be altered.
The video below will teach you how to store hex values in the data input of Ethereum transaction.
The process is simple. Let’s go
Text Version: How to Store Text Messages on the Ethereum Blockchain
What you will need
- A Myetherwallet
- A ledger nano S or Trezor (If you don’t have one yet. Get one! Seriously!)
- Internet connection
The steps are pretty simple.
- Go to Myetherwallet and log in to it
- Go to this text to hex editor and transform your text to hexadecimal characters
- Take the Hex output and put it under the +Advanced Add Data input field
- Set the Amount to Send Value to 0
- Set the Gas Limit to 100000
- Add any Ethereum address “To Address”. (You can also add your own)
- Sign and Send the transaction
It will take a few minutes for the transaction to be seen in the next block and confirmed.
This message will be forever on the blockchain
Check out the Message in the Transaction for Yourself
You can explore the transaction on the Ethereum Blockchain by clicking the link below
Click on convert to UTF8 to convert the Hex numbers to readable text
The text converted in UTF8
Hope you learnt something useful.
If this helps someone spread the word about a topic close to their heart without fear of censorship then that is a great first step to a decentralized society.
Have a great day.